Live World Indices are powered by Investing.com
Tuesday, 19 April 2016
Invisible Hand Defeated OPEC Cartel?
By Art Berman
The production freeze meeting in Doha was a no-brainer but it ended mindlessly with no action taken.
OPEC plus Russia and Mexico met yesterday to agree to do almost nothing by freezing production. Instead, they agreed to do absolutely nothing leaving everyone wondering why they even held the meeting.
All that they had to do was agree not to increase oil production above levels in January. They could have modified that to current levels. Probably, that would have ensured that oil prices remain near currently inflated levels that were created mostly by expectation of a production-freeze agreement to begin with.
It should have been a no-brainer because the Doha group’s production is already 130,000 barrels per day less than it was in January (Figure 1). Kuwait, Qatar, Russia, Mexico, Ecuador and Indonesia are all producing slightly more than they were in January but were prepared to go back to those levels.
Iran is producing about 350,000 bpd more than in January and has stated its intent to raise output much higher. Everyone else is producing less or the same as in January.
But this has been clear for months. Iran called the idea of a production freeze “ridiculous” in February and did not even send a representative to the meeting in Doha.
So, what was the point of the meeting?
Posted by Unknown at 05:34
- Education of Women Key To Advancing Human Conditio...
- Today's ENERGY News - 22 April 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - 21 April 2016
- Harvard Study: Now Methane Causes Worse Impact on ...
- Today's ENERGY News - 20 April 2016
- Invisible Hand Defeated OPEC Cartel?
- Today's ENERGY News - 19 April 2016
- Peak Oil Today - 18 April 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - 18 April 2016
- Oil Slides as Hope Fades for Doha Agreement
- At Last OPEC No Longer Drives the Bus
- EYE on the World - 15 April 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - April 15, 2015
- Traders Look for Lower Oil Prices
- Today's ENERGY News - April 14, 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - April 13, 2016
- BULLS Lead BIG Charge in #Crude
- Today's ENERGY News - April 12, 2016
- Peak Oil Today - April 11, 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - April 11, 2016
- #OMG Oil Tankers Cause Traffic Jam Near Iraq
- EIA Data Bullish Oil Prices Rise
- EYE on the World - Streetcars With Many Names
- Today's ENERGY News - April 8, 2016
- ALERT: Natural Gas Prices Positioned for Huge Jump...
- Today's ENERGY News - April 7, 2016
- Real Estate #Calgary Prices in Tailspin
- Today's ENERGY News - April 6, 2016
- Coal Prices Slump with Asian Demand
- Today's ENERGY News - April 5, 2016
- Electric Cars Leading the Conversion
- Peak Oil Today - April 4, 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - April 4, 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - April 1, 2016
- EYE on the World - Our Hometowns
- ▼ April (35)
- ► 2015 (36)